The Liebster Award: 10 Questions Blog Hop

4:27 PM

I was tagged by the best CP a gal could ask for, Nikki Miller, for the Liebster Award. I have to answer her ten questions about my work-in-progress and then tag some more people and give them my own questions. Since MISSING is out into the world and waiting with queries and requests, I thought I'd take this time to introduce my new WIP, BEYOND THE MEADOW. My new young adult historical fiction.

1) How did you come up with your WIP’s title?

I didn't, Nikki did! For real. She and I were texting back and forth consistently as I started writing BEYOND THE MEADOW because it had no title and I was so frustrated. Never before did I have a problem coming up with a title, but with this one I was really stuck. I knew the title had to have a strong meaning, and also focus on the central event of the book without giving too much away. Yeah... a lot to expect from a title. But one day after Nikki read my latest chapter, she texted me the now title and I was just blown away. She's the book whisperer, I tell you.


2) What motivates you to write?

This is a tough one. Really, I just get into a mood. Sometimes I'll lie awake at night WISHING to think of what I want to write next in the ms, other times I just sit down at the computer and my fingers take on a life of their own. Typically what pushes me is when someone who is reading it or who I tell about it gets excited. I know that if they're excited, I need to finish! I know, I know-- I should self-motivate. But, really, what's more encouraging then someone telling you they would totally read what you're writing?


3) Do you find yourself putting past experiences in your book? Give an example!

Yes and no. In this one, it's a little tough. Since it's a historical fiction, my character has faced many more challenges than I ever have in my life. However, the loss that she's experienced-- I can pull emotions for that one. But actual experiences? Not in this one.


4) What is your main character’s biggest obstacle?

Moving 'beyond the meadow'... that's where the title came from. My character survives something that she's not supposed to, and has to figure out how to move forward with her life after literally losing everything she loved and held most dear.


5) What is your crutch word that you always have to go back and delete because you use it too many times?

Well, I think one of my words is 'just'. Perhaps because I use it when I talk so much. I also use 'seemed' an awful lot, which is JUST as annoying because it makes things passive and then I'm like...oops. I didn't want that to 'seem' depressing, it IS depressing. Get it together!


6) Who is your author role model and why?

I love so many authors it's hard to choose, but when it comes to contemporary historical fiction I absolutely love Ann Rinaldi. I admire her so much for her multitude of historical fiction works and how diverse they can be. She's the author that made me fall in love with historical fiction and inspired me to want to write it.


7) What happens in your favorite scene from your WIP?

This is REALLY hard, because there are multiple scenes I absolutely love. One in particular is my favorite because it's the first kiss between my main character and her love interest (go figure). The second is my favorite because, honestly, I know it's going to break readers' hearts. Does that make me awful? I don't want to give it away, but I guess if you know the history you can probably guess what I'm talking about.


8) Please share a favorite line from your manuscript!

"From the beauty of the bushes came demonic cries that rattled me down to my bones. Bare-breasted men with painted faces carrying guns, tomahawks, and arrows appeared from their cover, already shooting and firing into our sea of travelers."


9) Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year?

No, I'm not. I was knee-deep in BEYOND THE MEADOW and knew I had less that 50,000 words to go, so I'm sticking it out. I'm honestly not a huge NaNoWriMo person. I admire those who can do it, but I'm not sure it's my cup of tea.


10) What advice do you have for other authors?

Keep at it. It took me a while before I dug my heels in and decided, once and for all, that this was what I wanted to do. I was really afraid after finishing MISSING that it was going to be my 'one hit wonder' of a book. I had always wanted to write historical fiction, but was really scared to do it-- the research was intimidating. But I sat down one day and just started looking things up for an idea I had, and before I knew it I had started writing BEYOND THE MEADOW. As much research as I did BEFORE I started it, I tried not to overwhelm myself and leave some to do while still writing it. If I focused too much on all the research being done and having an outline, I would've talked myself out of writing it-- because int he end, that's not how I work.

So, to sum that up: Keep At It, and Work The Way That's Best For You.

WHO IS NEXT?

I'd like to tag the lovely ladies of the Kick-AZ group! I haven't met you yet (and have been awful about touching base about making that happen), but I know you're a talented group and would love to read about your process! So, here are your 10 Questions:

1. How did you come up with your current WIP?
2. How do you balance your day job (if you have one) and your writing?
3. What's your favorite time of day to write?
4. Do you have any special snacks you eat for writing/ editing days?
5. Who do you go to when you're struggling with a part of your story-- from a word to a scene to a character?
6. Do you share your WIP with CP's while you're writing, or do you wait until it's completed?
7. What's the thing you DISLIKE the most about your WIP?
8. What's the thing you LOVE the most about your WIP?
9. How do you get through difficult sprints of writing? (Do you dance it out, bake, talk to someone?)
10. If you could cast your MC in a movie, who would play him/her?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi Emily! Thank you for tagging me for this. I'm happy you did for a couple of reasons. One, it gave me the perfect excuse to blog again. And two, I hope we can get acquainted now. I wish you nothing but the best with your WIP.

    Speaking of your WIP, I'm very intrigued. I think the title sounds great, and even though I don't know what it's completely about, the line you shared with us above totally caught my attention. (I immediately thought of Last of the Mohicans... the movie, which is in my top 5 fave films of all time. So I'd really like to read your WIP, I think!)

    Thanks again for reaching out and feel free to message me anytime. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa!

      I'm sorry I didn't reply before. Life has been CRAZY!

      Thanks so much for your words of encouragement and interest in my WIP! I'm always looking for a CP. Just finished my first draft, so I may do some tweaking before I'm ready to pass it out to others, but I'd love to return the favor!

      Delete