Easy Kung Pao Chicken

6:00 AM

Kung Pao Chicken is mine and Clark's favorite dish. Ever. When we started dating he introduced me to it, and I haven't been able to get away from it. Since we're trying to continue our "eating better" goals, I was worried it was going to be impossible to make a version of this dish at home successfully.

I'm so happy that I was wrong.

This recipe is easy and, if I may say so, up to delivery-par (in our opinions, that is). If Clark approves of something like this, I feel like a total winner, which is the case with this recipe.


Ingredients:

- 1lb chicken breasts, cut into cubes or strips.
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 habenero pepper, sliced
Note: I used this because I couldn't find dried chilis ANYWHERE. If you can find them, slice up 1-2 dried red chilies for a more authentic taste.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced.
- 3/4 tsp dried ginger
- 1 tbs rice cooking wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil (must)
- 2 scallions, cut into small rounds.
- 1/4 C roasted peanuts.

For the Marinade:

- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice wine
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbs egg white, beaten

For The Sauce:

- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs sweet chili sauce
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 6 tbs water
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
Note: You can use 6 tbsp of chicken or vegetable broth instead of the water/bouillon combo; I just typically don't have broth in my house!

Directions:

- Prepare the Marinade. Whisk together the salt, soy sauce, rice wine,cornstarch and egg white. Place into sealed container or ziploc bag with cut up chicken and let sit for 30 minutes in the fridge.

- Next, make the Sauce. Mix together the soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, vinegar sugar, cornstarch, water, and bouillon. Set aside.

- Heat a Wok or large pan over high heat util smoke rises. Add the oil and swirl it around. Add the habenero pepper, garlic, and ginger. Push around until garlic is golden.

- Add your chicken.Turn and toss it for 1 - 2 minutes before next step.

- Add in the rice wine and sesame oil (from first list of ingredients), stirring continuously.

- Add the scallions and continue to stir for a minute or so; the chicken should be almost cooked by now.

- Add the Sauce to the Wok. Continue to stir while it thickens.

- Add the peanuts, stir the mix a few more times, then transfer to a warm serving plate.


I served mine with homemade fried rice. Hope you enjoy!

Recipe adapted from My Kitchen Magazine

You Might Also Like

0 comments