Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies (with a surprise in the middle)2:54 PM
These cookies are super easy-- something to throw together if you have friends or family about to show up and you want your kitchen to smell wonderful, but maybe want to do a little more than just the break-and-bake cookies. Plus, who can pass up on coconut?
Oh, and the surprise inside? If you have some Hershey Kisses handy, they give the cookies a little extra chocolate-boost. (Which is always amazing, am I right?)
They also have the Michael & Clark seal of approval, just so ya know.
- 1/4 C butter, softened
- 3 TBSP Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C all purpose, unbleached flour
- 1/2 C chocolate chips
- 1/4 - 1/2 C unsweetened coconut flakes
- 12 - 18 Hershey Kisses (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 and prepare your baking sheet by spraying or lining with parchment paper.
- Using a handheld or standing mixer, blend your butter and oil together. Then mix in your sugars until fluffy.
- Add your egg and vanilla to the mixture.
- *Optional: Mix your dry ingredients (flour, salter, baking powder & soda) in a medium-sized bowl.* Add your dry ingredients in batches to mix your batter more thoroughly.
- Fold in your chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop your dough and place on the cookie sheet.
If you are adding Hershey Kisses put about 1/2 the amount of dough in your cookie scoop, then push a Hershey Kiss into the middle and cover the bottom with more dough. If you have a medium-sized scoop, it works perfectly. *Note: If you do not have a cookie scoop, you can simply shape the dough around the Hershey Kiss, about 2-3 tablespoons worth.*
- Bake for 8 - 11 minutes. Remove immediately to cooling rack.
In my opinion, you can never have enough chocolate-- or coconut. Enjoy!