Balancing Mom Life and Author Life

6:00 AM


I am super excited to be on Whiskey, Wine, & Writing tonight. When my friend Nikki asked me to be a guest, there was no way I could say no. I have to admit, though, I'm incredibly nervous.

As all moms know, when it comes to explaining how we get everything done... it isn't easy. One day I'll be super productive and feel like I've got the world on a string. The next day, I'll be walking around like a chicken with her head cut off and not know where to begin or end my day.

Just to say a little something, and hopefully you'll follow this link to tune in tonight to hear the rest of my rambling, but there is no REAL way to balance mom life with author life (or photographer life, or school life, or entrepreneur life, or volunteer life, or whatever other half of your life may seem like your purpose beyond motherhood).

When it comes down to it for me, it's just about finding time each day to give myself a break and allow myself to do something (beyond making meals, having scoot races, learning the ABC's, and reading The Monster At the End of This Book for the millionth time) that makes me happy. I'm allowed many little moments during the day, whether it's my devotional in the morning or getting to nap with Michael (because, man, the third trimester of this second pregnancy is kicking my butt). But when I get ten minutes, or maybe even an hour, that little man is playing independently so beautifully that I get to sit down at the computer and work on my book(s)-- those are the moments I revel in, and the moments that I make a priority.

I have to make time to sit down at the computer and write. If I didn't, I'd never get anything done. In September I put my mind to writing my first YA Historical Fiction-- what I've been dying to write since I was probably ten years old. And I did it. I made time every day to work on my book, no matter what else was going on. I wouldn't have been able to do it without a very understanding husband, who knows I need time to get the creativity flowing even when he's only home for four days at a time. I also wouldn't have been able to do it without a very happy son, who realizes that mommy is in a slightly better mood when she gets a little time to write. And I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it without patience, prayer, and discipline.

I've heard from multiple people, "I wish I had time to write," or "I want to write a book, I just don't have the time yet." I have to bite my tongue, to be honest, because who has the time? I freelance from home for work, take care of my three-year-old and our house, and we have another baby on the way. My husband is gone ten days, home four days-- and his schedule just settled down to that. I'm not putting myself on a pedestal for getting things done, I'm just pointing out that no one has time, but if you want to be a writer, you have to make it.

I hope you'll tune in to hear more tonight at 8 p.m. EST!

Follow Whiskey, Wine, & Writing on Twitter and check out their fantastic site!

You Might Also Like

0 comments