Morning People vs. Not.

9:07 AM


I have always been a morning person. Ever since I can remember. I've been told stories of me sitting up in my crib just waiting for my mom to come get me in the morning. I don't know if this is really true or not, but I like the story all the same. It makes me think that I was always starting off the day with a positive attitude-- ready to greet it.

My husband, Clark, on the other hand, is not a morning person. While he does get up earlier than some, I think this is just because he knows what kind of a morning person I am and how I can't stand people sleeping until noon when there are things to be done. I know, I'm awful.

We're staying with Clark's family at the moment, and his family is full of night people, aka not morning people. They all stay up until eleven or so during the week and possibly later on the weekends, depending on how busy the week has been. It's hard for me to function this way. Because, I can stay up until eleven every single night, but I get up around 7am anyway.

While this is eight hours of sleep, it doesn't feel like it. I start waking up around 5am and make myself go back to sleep. Then I usually wake up around six. I may doze off again, but usually I just make myself lay in bed until seven rolls around and Clark won't moan and groan (as much) about me getting up so early. These days I get him up by 8am for work. I know, it's actually a pretty easy schedule right now for us. But, still, if there's not coffee ready-- he will not set one foot out of bed.

I remember my grandpa singing, "Oh, the red, red robin goes bop, bop, boppin along. Sweet Song. Oh, the red, red robin, goes bop, bop, boppin along. Sweet Song. Wake up, wake up you sleepy head. Get up, get up, get out of bed. Oh, the red, red, robin goes bop, bop, boppin along." My mom would do this, too, but I distinctly remember my grandpa doing it.

Then, there's the classic from Singing in the Rain, another favorite of my grandpa's. "Good morning, good morning! It's great to stay up late. Good morning, good morning, to you. Good morning, good morning! We talked the whole night through. Good morning, good morning, to you," (this is my annoying way of getting Clark out of bed on the weekends when he sometimes attempts to sleep past 10am).

So, why are some people made to stay up late and others made to rise and shine in the morning? And does this phenomenon have something to do with Breakfast People vs. Not? Perhaps. I LOVE breakfast... but Clark would just rather have a cup of coffee, maybe a piece of toast or the unhealthy things such as Pop-Tarts or Toaster Strudels. I just don't understand it.

So, it's 9:25am and thus far I have: made breakfast, written in my journal, read/ done my devotional, recorded in my food diary, planned my to-do list for today, read my One Year Bible, fed the pets, got Clark out of bed and fed him/ filled him with coffee, called the vet about appointments, and folded some laundry. And the day is just beginning.

Personally, I love being a morning person. Are you one, or not?

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I didn't used to be a morning person, but pregnancy has turned me into one -- I'm usually awake by 5:30. If I'm lucky, I can make myself go back to sleep until about 7. More and more, though, I like being up early! I guess that's a good thing, 'cause I'm sure there'll be some early mornings with Maile. :)

    ReplyDelete