Spinach Turkey Burgers

8:55 AM


Now that it's warming up, the grill is turning on or the charcoal is being lit or whichever way it works best for you. Visiting family, I always try to do my part and get busy in the kitchen. After all, there isn't much else I can do. Having more energy in the second trimester, I have found that getting back to the basics and cooking is positively wonderful. It started the other night when Clark's little sister and I made this chicken stir-fry, then last night I baked Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. And now tonight I will be sharing a recipe with you for Spinach Turkey Burgers, which also have the option to be Spinach Turkey Burger Steaks... try saying THAT ten times fast!

So, you can also cook these on a broiler. Being blessed to be visiting people who have a sufficient grill, unlike our $20 one from Walmart, we are cooking them in true summer-style. However, if you don't have a grill, not to worry. These burgers will still taste delicious if you have to cook 'em up on a broiler in the oven.

SUPPLIES:

- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 1/2 C chopped fresh spinach (or you can buy a bag of the ready-to-go-stuff if that's easier on you)
- 1/2 C breadcrumbs
- 2 TBLSP finely chopped bell pepper (I will be using green, but I'm pretty sure any color of bell pepper would taste really good!)
- 3/4 C chopped onion, about 1/2 of a medium sized onion (once again, any color will work just fine for your taste buds)
- 2 TBLSP Dijon mustard
- Cheese, if you wish, to top off the burgers with! Yummm.... and Mozzarella tastes REALLY good with these!

All of this makes about four decent sized burgers, so if you want more than that I would suggest doubling up!

This is easy. All you have to do is use your hands (yes, it gets messy) and mush everything together. So, you go from this:

To this:


Then, you throw them on the grill or broiler.

I did make the mistake of not chopping up the spinach, which I'm assuming holds them together much better than just making them with the whole leaves. Be warned that turkey is much different than hamburger, and you should lightly coat the burgers with Pam or whatever kind of nonstick spray you have. When turning them, be gentle. Our Spinach Turkey Burger Steaks ended up being Spinach Turkey Burger Crumble... but it was still delicious!

*Added 4.03.12*

- Make sure to add 1 EGG to help bind everything. I did this not really thinking about it because I add it to other burgers I make *recipe to come Summer 2012*, and it worked like a charm! Add an egg, chop the spinach, and you should be golden!

You Might Also Like

0 comments