Homemade Apple Pie

8:33 AM


I positively LOVE pie. Almost as much as I love muffins. I know... hard to believe!

October and November are the months I take advantage of. Although thus far my pies have stuck to apple and pumpkin, I'm hoping to challenge myself this year. We'll explore that statement at a later date.

Today, it's all about the Apple Pie!

In the past I've been strict to sticking to someone else's recipe. I must admit I typically take the easy route and by pre-made crusts and then follow the directions on how to make filling and then present "my" creation.

Well, although this time I stuck with the pre-made crusts, I did make my own filling. And all the ingredients were nice and fresh!

Supplies:

- Two pre-made pie crusts (frozen or refrigerated)
- 4 fresh Gala apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 fresh lemon
- 1/2 C All Purpose, Unbleached Flour
- 1/3 C Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon

Directions:

- Follow the directions on how to prepare your base pie crust, then preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel and slice your apples. Put them in a bowl. Cut your lemon in half and squeeze juice from one half over your sliced apples. Mix it up! This will help keep the apples from turning a funky color and eventually help hold all the ingredients together.
- Mix in the flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Mix WELL. Check the bottom of the bowl for flour that hasn't been mixed up!
- Put the filling into the pie crust.

Now, for this next part you can do as you please. Apple pies, to me, are bet with a top crust. For mine, I used Williams-Sonoma's Fall Pie Crust Cutters that my husband bought me for our anniversary. But, you can always do something more traditional!

-Once you have figured out just what you're going to do for your top crust, Cover the edges of your pie with aluminum foil so they don't overcook.
-Place your prepared pie on a cookie sheet on the middle rack of the oven. Cook for 35 to 40 minutes. Make sure you let it cool slightly before serving!


This is a great dessert to follow a meal like Deliciously Easy Chili and Mom's Simple Cornbread!

You Might Also Like

0 comments