Practice makes "perfect"

3:25 PM

Lately I've been starting a lot of projects. Finding things to fill my time. When I get bored, or just decide I don't want to do that project anymore, I move forward.

Sometimes it doesn't phase me that I started one thing and stopped because I couldn't get it just right. Other times I realize that I gave up because I was afraid of something not being as good as the first time, or afraid it wouldn't improve.

Then the saying, "Practice makes perfect!" flies through my head.

"Whatever." I say back to it. There's no such thing as "perfect".

Lately that's what I have to remind myself of.

I get stressed and frustrated with some of my projects. For example, I really (someday) want to turn this blog into a business. I'm not really sure what type of business, whether it be a catering business or a retail business (you'll see what I mean there soon enough), but I want to turn it into a business. So for part of the month of April and most of May I was all into making this website a business. I started making this one particular item and got all excited about it.

I successfully made one.

One.

Just one.

And I have yet to really start on another one.

Why?

I don't know.

All of a sudden I lost my mojo and thought I was using the blog as an excuse to not really write anymore. After all, that's what I went to school for. That's what I've always wanted to do. Was I giving up because I see "The Newfangled Housewife" as an easier road?

Maybe. I'm still not sure about the answer to that question.

But the thing is, I bought all the supplies to make more of these items and I have yet to even unwrap them. Something is stopping me. Something is holding me back.

I'm questioning my motives. I'm not sure of my confidence. I seemed to have misplaced them both.

Then this past Monday I began a cake decorating class. I hadn't practiced what we did in class at all. I felt like I was failing when it came to my homework.

But part of me just didn't care.

It's like there's this little voice in the back of my mind telling me I'm never going to be good enough at it. So why bother?

And then I lost my cool because the blender broke and I had already put the ingredients for a smoothie in it.

I took a moment of silence to listen.

And then (after laying Michael down for a nap) I took out my frosting and tips, and decided to practice my cake decorating skills.

It's not much, but it's a start.


"Stars": You're supposed to get it down to where you're making "factory stars"... aka they all look the same.


"Inline Shells": This is pretty much the border you see on every grocery-store-cake. Believe it or not it's harder than it looks... and I still don't think I have the hang of it.






Since I have awful handwriting, this is actually one of the hardest things for me. People say it's "All in the wrist"... but our teacher told us it's all in the elbow/shoulder. Lots to learn...

The day can only get better (I hope)!

You Might Also Like

0 comments