Light Veggie Lo Mein

10:18 AM

About two weeks ago my friend Serena flew into town. She lives in Michigan, and I've happened to know her for almost my entire life. No joke. We met in Kindergarten. Even with all my moving around throughout the years, we've managed to stay in touch and be ridiculously close friends.

Before she flew in, I gave her a few choices of recipes I wanted to try out, and she responded with what sounded the best. Unfortunately, while she was here, she actually had some stomach bacteria and really wasn't able to eat much.

But before we figured out what was actually wrong with her, she did manage to eat some of this... and I'm thankful. Because I must say, this was satisfying and positively delicious.

Did I mention it's Vegetarian friendly? Change the egg noodles to something else and I'm pretty sure it'd be vegan-friendly as well!


Ingredients:

Sauce
- 7 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp curry
- 2 tsp ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp cornstarch

- 1 bag of egg noodles, precooked (however much you want)

Stir-Fry
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 C thinly sliced scallions (I sliced them into strips)
- 1 C shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 C shredded carrots
- 1.25 C shredded cabbage or mix (see picture)
- 8oz can of bean sprouts


Directions:

- Stir all sauce ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened(about three minutes). Set aside.

- Use a wok or large skillet to cook the stir-fry. Set it over medium-high heat, and once it's hot add the two tsp of canola oil and swirl to coat.
- Add the bean sprouts, the mushrooms,

the cabbage,

the scallions,

and carrots. Saute for about three minutes, or until the veggies begin to soften.

- Add the cooked egg noodles and the sauce, tossing to combine.

- Cook for about one minute to let the sauce seep in, then serve.


Inspiration for this recipe came from: Can you stay for dinner?

You Might Also Like

0 comments