Blackberry Scones

10:23 AM


This was my first time making scones. I'm not sure if they turned out quite like I wanted them to, but I have the stamp of approval from my husband and his climbing partner. That must mean something!

Don't get me wrong. They were delicious to me as well, but they weren't quite as "sconey" as I wanted them to be. Let me know what you think!

Ingredients:

- 3/4 C buttermilk
- 1/4 C sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 C unbleached, all purpose flour
- 1 C white whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter (must be cold) cut into small pieces
- 6 oz Blackberries

*1 large egg white, lightly beaten
*1 1/2 tbsp sugar

Directions:

- Preheat your oven to 375 and spray your cookie sheet, pizza pan, or cooking stone.
- Mix together the buttermilk, sugar, vanilla, and egg in a small bowl.


- Mix together the flours, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter that's been cut into pieces and "cut" them together using a pastry blender until well blended and resembling course meal. If you don't have a pastry blender, I imagine you can use two knives but that seems awfully difficult to me.




- Gently fold the blackberries into the flour mix.


- Add the buttermilk mix to the flour/blackberry mix. Mix as thoroughly/gently as possible.


*You can cut up the blackberries before adding them if desired. No matter what you do, there will be a mess with them, but it's well worth it!*

- Transfer the dough to a a counter top or other place you have prepared with flour. Cover your hands, too, and knead the dough at least three times. Note that the blackberries will get smushed a bit and your hands will become a ridiculous mess!


-Transfer, again, to your prepared pan. If the dough needs a little added flour, go ahead and do so.


- Cut the dough all the way through into at least ten "slices". If you can cut evenly and manage twelve, I'm sure that'd look much nicer. But this was my first time!


*Optional: Brush the tops of the scones with your lightly beaten egg white and sprinkle sugar on top of that. These really aren't that sweet unless you add the sugar on top, but I personally like them with just the berry sweetness!*


- Bake in the oven for 23 to 25 minutes.

Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee, tea, or whatever suites you best!


Inspiration for this recipe came from: Skinnytaste.com

You Might Also Like

0 comments