"Falling Back"

8:43 AM

OK, so I'm a little late on the end of daylight savings time post.

We've been adjusting to this time change. It used to be no big deal. In fact, I wasn't one of those people that worshiped the weekend "falling back" came around. Why? Because I was (and ultimately still am) a morning person. My internal clock went off around 6:30am, so when daylight savings time ended, I would go to 5:30am until my clock reset.

I didn't think I was going to have that problem this year, since we typically don't roll out of bed until 7:30am with Michael. 6:30am didn't seem like too big of a deal. I figured it would take a few days and Michael would readjust to his usual morning schedule.

Boy was I wrong.

For whatever reason, Sunday morning came and Michael woke up at 5:30am. Ummm... what? I didn't understand. He didn't go to bed until 9pm the night before. I'm assuming this had more to do with his teething than with daylight savings time, but it still just happened to fall on the day the time change came around.

Then Monday he woke up at 4:30am.

Then Tuesday he woke up at five.

Monday and Tuesday he also took his afternoon naps way later than usual, and wouldn't take them lying down. In fact, we had to turn on a show/movie and he would sit in my lap until he finally laid back on me and fell asleep. In which case I stayed where I was, enjoying the time to relax myself.

Finally by Wednesday we were to just before six, yesterday we were at just before seven, and again today we were at 6:45am. Not bad. I'll take it.

The first couple days were rough. We ended up changing our morning routine around completely by just getting up and watching a movie. Michael didn't seem to want to do much else, but he certainly didn't want to lay in bed. He wanted to be up.

One thing that came into play this week, though, was a true night time routine. This is something we had been struggling with FOREVER. I tried setting a routine to stick to, but it only seemed to make Michael want to stay up later. He wouldn't go to sleep until between nine and ten at night.

We are at eight, exactly. Except last night when he was super grumpy (thanks to not napping) and went to bed at seven. But, for the entire week he's starting rubbing his eyes and acting grumpy around 7:30pm, so we'd crawl into bed and it would take precisely 30 minutes before he was completely asleep. I'm loving it. I'm really hoping this development sticks around, because it means I get some time in the evenings to get things done/relax/spend time with the hubby (when he's not working, that is).

How did your family do with the end to daylight savings time? Have a happy weekend!

You Might Also Like


  1. I think we're still adjusting to the end of DST. It hasn't been particularly bad, but Maile has both been going to bed about an hour earlier, and waking up about an hour earlier, than normal.