Thankfulness

11:14 AM

(Picture taken from Facebook.)

I find it hard to make a list of things I'm thankful for. I actually started to do the 30 days of thankfulness on Facebook, and then stopped because I was struggling with it. This isn't exactly the attitude I should have had. I mean, it's about being thankful. Even when things aren't going precisely my way, I have so much more than others, and I have to remember that.

If I have clothes on my back, a roof over my head, and food in my belly-- I'm above something like 75% of others in the world. To me that is an outrageous statistic, but it's true. We all have so much to be thankful for... there really should be no complaining.

Today, I am mostly thankful for my family. Even if I don't always see eye to eye with the extended members, they are all so wonderful. I have amazing parents, siblings, in-laws, the list goes on. I am especially grateful for my sisters and parents. I can say over and over again how blessed I am that my family happens to contain my best friends.

This, of course, brings to light MY family. By this I mean Clark and Michael. I am beyond amazingly blessed to have these two boys in my life. I really don't know what I would do without Clark's love and support, my best friend and love of my life. And Michael has brought out more love than I thought either Clark or I could feel. I suppose parenthood does that to you. I have so many emotions surrounding the little guy that it can be so hard to decipher just what I'm feeling in a moment. It's overwhelming in a magical/wonderful/beautiful way.

OK... an American Airlines commercial about the military just made me tear up. Distraction. Sorry. I am thankful for those in uniform. Growing up with a father in the military, as well as a husband, my brother in-laws, my father in-law, my best friend... I have such a love and appreciate for those who have and continue to serve.

I count my friends to be in the 'family' category. This is because those who have stuck with me through so much have become my family. Those closest to me can just walk into my house without knocking and know that they're always going to be welcome, no matter the situation.

Now comes the quick list. I am thankful for my animals, Luna and Coconut. I am thankful for the town we are starting to get established in. I'm thankful for my education, and thankful that I have the opportunity to continue it again some day. I am thankful for the ability to write (blog). I am thankful for music. I am thankful for the seasons. I am thankful for church.

Last, but certainly not least, I am thankful for God's amazing grace. This has been a rough year for us, but God has continued to see us through it. I should never question being thankful, because it is with a thankful heart that I run to him... even when there are tears in my eyes or sorrows in my heart. He takes care of me, sees me through, and continues to use me for his glory. Who could ask for more?

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I hope it is filled with love, grace, and humbleness.

You Might Also Like

0 comments