Rosemary Chicken & Cornmeal Dumplings

5:00 AM


My photography skills (or, specifically, food photography skills) have been slacking lately. Perhaps it's because we've been eating so late ate night. Either way, please forgive me. But, I promise, this meal is delicious whether or not the pictures make it appear so!

I didn't used to understand the quick and easy dinners. I mean, yes, they came in handy when I had class all day, but even then I didn't mind taking my time to make a fabulous meal. Food is so worth it, right?

Well, now when I have Michael walking around all over the place, wanting to be read Llama Llama Red Pajama upteen times in a row, and plenty of other things on my plate-- I'd say quick and easy meals that come out delicious are SO worth it.

Therefore, I have a new love for my crockpot/slow-cooker. If you're someone like me, this recipe is for you!

Ingredients:

- 1 lb chicken
- 1 tsp to 1 tbsp rosemary (fresh or dried)
- 1 C low sodium chicken broth (or 1 C water with 1 tsp chicken bouillon)
- baby carrots (1/2 to 1 C)
- 1/3 to 1/2 C corn kernels
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 white onion

For the dumplings:
- 1/4 C all purpose, unbleached flour
- 1/4 C corn meal
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp canola oil

Directions:

- Put your chicken and veggies in the crockpot/ slow-cooker. Pour your chicken broth over it all and sprinkle your rosemary on top. Cover and cook on high for four to five hours, or low for at least five hours.
- Once the time is up, cut your chicken into pieces (whether in the pot or in a separate bowl).
*I basically shredded mine, but you can easily leave it in bigger pieces.

- To make the dumplings, mix everything together in a small bowl. Using a fork is easiest, because it helps the mixture really clump together.

- Use a medium cookie scoop (or about 1/4 cup) to make the dumplings (mixture will make four of this size). Put them on top of the chicken mix and cook, on high, for 20 to 25 minutes.


Serve warm and enjoy! I topped mine off with fresh cracked black pepper and it definitely added a nice touch. Perfect for cool autumn nights!



This recipe came from: Diabeticlivingonline.com.

You Might Also Like

0 comments