Double Chocolate Muffins

6:00 AM


Thursday morning, when our weather was at its worse (we had five straight days of nasty rain/wind), our coffee pot broke. There was no warning signs, no spewing grounds... nothing. I turned it on... and it wouldn't work. It was thirty minutes before I even noticed, because I'll set it up, turn it on, and do things and then get excited to get my first cup of coffee... but there wasn't any. It was awful.

After consulting my mama on just how to find a substitute way of making coffee, I dulled my coffee-less-morning-pain by making these DELICIOUS muffins. After making them I of course felt guilty (and after eating two of them). Luckily a friend came by to take some off my hands.

They are rich and delicious, and easy to make. Luckily they are rich enough where two was my limit (with a nice glass of milk or cup of coffee).

Ingredients:

- 1 C whole wheat flour
- 1 C unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 3/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C milk (I used skim)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus extra for sprinkling if desired

Directions:

- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Wish together your milk and melted butter. Add the oil and eggs next.
- Combine your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the liquid ingredients to this mix well. Don't over mix this. The batter should be somewhat lumpy.
- Gently fold in your 1 C chocolaate chips.

- Spoon the batter into your prepared muffin pan. Use about 1/4 C batter per muffin.
*If you use liners, make sure to spray them!*
- Optional: Sprinkle the top of the muffins with extra chocolate chips for show!
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Check the muffins with a toothpick. Make sure it's batter sticking to the toothpick and not just melted chocolate from the chips when you're deciding if they're done or not!
- Remove muffins from hot pan to a cooling rack and let sit for at least five minutes before digging in. This didn't, exactly, happen when I made them... but then they were very hot and VERY "melty" with the chocolate chips.

ENJOY!



This recipe was adapted from About.com.

You Might Also Like

0 comments