Harvest Soup6:00 AM
I was so excited about this soup. After going apple picking and finding butternut squash at the store, I knew I had to have something that incorporated both. But who thinks of putting apples in soup?! I didn't until I saw this recipe on Parents, and boy did I find myself inspired.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 C chopped carrots (I used closer to 1 C)
- 1/2 C chopped onion
- 1.5 lb butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 2 medium apples (I used Golden Delicious), cored and cut into pieces
- 3 to 4 C low-sodium chicken broth
Ground black pepper to taste
Whole grain crouton
- Heat your olive oil in a large pot over medium/medium-high heat. Add your onion and carrot, cooking for around 8 to 10 minutes (or until tender and slightly brown).
- Add the squash, apple, and broth. Bring to boiling, then reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for around 20 minutes or until squash is tender.
*Note: I used 4 C broth and this made the soup, well, "brothy". If you want it to be a thicker consistency, I would use around 3 C.*
- Puree the soup, in batches if necessary, in a blender or food processor (I used my blender).
Serve with pepper to taste and some yummy croutons. Perfectly for cool, autumn evenings!