Treacle Tarts

6:00 AM


It seemed only appropriate to start October off with a Harry Potter inspired recipe. As you may know from previous posts (especially last year's Halloween post), I'm a fan. And that may be putting it lightly. This year I'm rereading the series and making treats to match.

What's surprising is I'm already more than halfway through (finishing Goblet of Fire now). I think I was so worried about not finishing by the end of October that I was speed reading parts. I intend to slow down a little bit now and enjoy. Of course, now I'm on to the longer books... so I guess we shall see.

Annnnnnywho....

TREACLE TARTS!

If you didn't know, Treacle is an actual type of sugar, but it's basically Molasses and Corn Syrup. There was no way I was clever enough to come up with this on my own. I referenced Bakingdom's recipe, bless her for being just as big of a fan and having one ready for me to use.

Ingredients:

Crust

- 3/4 C unblecahed all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C confectioners’ sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 C (1/2 stick) cold, butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons water

Filling

- 1/3 C light corn syrup
- 1/4 C molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 C bread crumbs

Directions:

For the Crust

- Put all the ingredients in your food processor and pulse/ run on low until a dough ball forms. OR use a pastry cutter and blend in your butter by hand, then kneed the dough until it is well formed. Chill in the freezer for around 30 minutes or in the fridge for up to two hours (at least one).

- Next, roll your dough out on a light floured surface to around 1/8 inch thick (AKA pretty dang thin). If you are using tiny tart pans (I got mine from Amazon), carefully lift your dough and place the (sprayed) pan underneath the dough, then press it into the pan and around the edges. Kind of like a complex cookie cutter. If you're making a large tart/pie, put it in your 9" round pan.


- Put the tart(s) on a baking sheet and chill for 20 to 30 minutes in your freezer.

*Optional*
* Preheat your oven to 350.
* Line your (chilled) tart(s) with parchment/wax paper and pie weights, beans, or rice (like in the Apple Nutella Bars recipe) and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.

Note: I did this with my first batch (which are not pictured) but they got WAY over cooked. However, they were chewier with the final product. If you want them more candy-like and less pie-like, I would definitely recommend doing it this way.

For the Filling

- Mix all your ingredients together in a bowl. Wow, that was easy!

Put it all together!

- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Put around 1/2 to 1 tsp of filling into each mini tart pan (or put it all in your large pie dish).
- Bake the mini-tarts around 20 minutes, or a regular pie-size for around 30 minutes.


DELICIOUS! If you like molasses, you will definitely love these!


I made these to celebrate finishing books one and two! Treacle is mentioned in both of them and really stuck out, so it seemed an obvious choice to make. Can you guess what I'm going to be making once I finish book four (yes, I already finished three)?

Here's a hint:

"He drank deeply. It was the most delicious thing he'd ever tasted and seemed to heat every bit of him from the inside." -Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

You Might Also Like

0 comments