Gingerbread House Love

8:46 AM

We are finally in the midst of Clark's family. Though it is very different from hanging out with mine, considering how much larger it is because everyone is in semi-close proximity of everyone, we are having a wonderful time. To start the holiday right, Clark's little sister, Laura, and I took nearly four hours of yesterday putting together an edible house.

I had never in my life made a gingerbread house before. Maybe I can vaguely remember making one in grade school with a milk carton, but other than that I've had no such luck. Every year I try to get Clark to buy a kit that we can put together and bond over, but he's never been too thrilled. This year, showing up to one of the family houses, Laura had the kit ready for us to put together. I was beyond excited.

It took four hours. No, that is no exaggeration. We started around ten, had to let the dough sit in the fridge for an hour, then we had to roll out the dough, cut out the shapes, bake the shapes, decorate it, put it together, and decorate it some more. It was exhausting, but I don't think I've ever had so much fun. It was a thorough bonding experience with my lovely little sister(in-law... whatever).

Now, for those of you who may have children, I would not suggest the kit we had. You had to do everything from scratch: the dough, the frosting, and so forth. It did not come with easy decorating tools or anything to help you with figuring out how to get the dough to stick to the stencils. There was a lot of improvisation, a lot of mistakes, but ultimately a wonderful time. If you have kids, get the pre-made kits that come with more candy and sprinkles and such. If you don't, and you have a good friend and time to spare, then the ones from scratch are the way to do it!

Today is Christmas Eve, and if your day isn't packed with plans then it's the perfect opportunity to take time to spend with your family, friends, or whoever you have in your life that is important to you. Go get a Gingerbread house and see what stories, laughs, and love come from it!

(Pictures to be posted later due to insufficient equipment!)

You Might Also Like

0 comments