Which one are you: Scrooge, or the Grinch?

7:06 AM


Well, you may not be either.

Christmas can bring out many sides of people. Christmas can bring out the joyful and giving spirit in people that you may not see year round, or you may see it but it's not as blatant. Christmas can also bring out a sour attitude that you may or may not see the rest of the year. With me, it tends to do both, to be very honest.

The reason for Christmas seems to always be pushed aside. People focus on Santa Claus and presents instead of the birth of Christ. While this may be your religious preference, it is still rather entertaining to me that almost everyone under the sun celebrates Christmas as "just a holiday." But it's not just a holiday at all, is it?

Within the past 48 hours or so I've been feeling like gloom and doom. No, I'm not the Grinch in the way that I want to go steal all the presents and shove the tree up the chimney, but I am feeling a bit like Scrooge. My funds are pouring out to make Christmas special for others, but I haven't once looked to myself. I know, this is actually supposed to be part of Christmas: putting others before yourself. Unfortunately, I've been feeling a bit bitter, and that kind of kills the Christmas mood.

No worries, I'm not going to stay Scrooge forever.

It will be made right when I see a person in a Santa Claus hat outside Walmart ringing the bell and blessing everyone who gives to the Salvation Army. It's always one of my favorite things about Christmas.

If you're heading to a store in a foul mood and you don't want to do Christmas shopping, and don't understand just why you have to, or rather you're choosing to be so nice and give to others that you know, you see that stranger with the bell and the red tin box. Suddenly you remember that there are so many others who have so much less than you do. That man or woman, just the presence of him or her, always reminds me about the true meaning of Christmas. Then, heading to church, spending time with family, doing the advent wreath-- all reinforce that amazing feeling of the spirit inside of me.

So, the answer to the question: at this very moment, I'm feeling a bit like Scrooge, but I don't intend to let the feeling stay. After all, Scrooge was meant to realize the real meaning of Christmas, so I know I'm not lost.


Don't be Scrooge or the Grinch this Christmas season, as tempting as it is! Remember the REAL reason for the season, and I have a feeling you'll be just fine.

You Might Also Like

0 comments